Wednesday 25 July 2012

Free Knitting Pattern - Needle/Pincushion!


I really just winged this!  I was watching tv and fancied doing some knitting - and ended up with this!  Whenever I'm knitting and put a needle down on the sofa ...... I invariably lose it down the cushions - or somewhere they disappear to!  So it occurred to me that if I have a large needlecushion and just poke the needles into it,  I would know where they were!!   I know I should probably get out more, but if you've got an oddment of yarn and have itchy fingers .....  try this!


I used Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino with nos. 11 (UK) needles.
Begin by casting on 30 stitches, knit approx 6 - 7" (2 pieces) or 12 - 14" if knitting in one piece.
Stitch seams leaving a gap at the top, stuff, sew up, embroider edges if wanted, add button - that's more or less it!  Measurements are not really crucial at all.


This needlecushion measures approx. 6.5"x 5.5" (x 2 pieces or 1 long piece). 
The front is Garter and Stocking Stitch, and the back is just plain Stocking Stitch.
I knitted a heart motif into the centre - but you could knit in anything of course, and I added a large decorative button. (Click on photo to see larger image.)
You could also knit it all in stocking stitch and embroider initials on the front too.
I stitched the seams, leaving a gap at the top and stuffed it with wadding and  also embroidered a line of chain stitch on each of the long sides to make the edges look neater.

No comments: